Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can be overwhelming.
Between keyword research, content creation, improving search rankings, fixing page speeds, and creating inbound links, SEO can be draining and time-consuming.
Yet, you have to do all these tasks to run successful SEO campaigns.
Luckily, you can leverage DIY tools to do the heavy lifting for you.
That way, you can take care of your site's SEO and have time to run other aspects of your business.
That said, I've assembled the 13 best DIY SEO software to help you put your foot on the pedal when it comes to search engine optimization.
What is the Best DIY SEO software?
There are many DIY SEO tools on the market, but not all are worth your attention.
Here's what you should consider when looking for a tool to help power your SEO strategy.
You want a tool that offers the functionality you're looking for.
For example, suppose you're scouting for software to help you polish your technical SEO. In that case, it is best to pick one that lets you do everything from identifying broken links to finding crawl errors and anything in between.
The more features a tool has, the better.
Ease of Use
There is a reason we're calling them DIY SEO tools.
These tools are meant to let you easily perform SEO tasks without putting in much effort.
You'll therefore want a tool that has an intuitive interface. Good SEO software is easy.
You want a tool that allows you to locate the features quickly. In addition, the interface should be minimalist and uncluttered.
Here's the thing.
The most expensive SEO software isn't necessarily the best.
Again, you need to consider the price against a tool's features to help you determine whether it is worth your money.
You want to spend cash on software with enough features to warrant the price tag.
Please note that some SEO tools like SEMRush boast TONS of functions that provide valuable SEO insights. While these DIY tools aren't cheap, they're worth the money.
You can consider starting with free SEO tools and upgrading later if you're on a tight budget.
An SEO tool is as good as what users say it is.
It is crucial to check independent reviews regarding specific software before buying.
Consider both negative and positive feedback. A good tool should have more positive than negative reviews. It must be highly rated too.
The higher the rating, the more likely the software offers what it promises.
You want to buy something other than a tool that can stand the test of time.
So, check if the software offers regular updates. You want to ensure you're using a tool that can complement your SEO efforts years after buying.
Updates help fix glitches and bugs to keep your software running smoothly and provide the desired results.
Also, check if the updates are free.
Top DIY SEO Software
Whether you're looking for a tool to help you conduct in-depth keyword research, check how many backlinks you've built over time, or supercharge your content marketing strategy, these tools have got you covered.
SEMRush is a comprehensive SEO tool that lets you figure out how and where your competitors became successful.
That way, you can replicate their strategy for your business.
You can achieve a lot with SEMRush if you understand how to use it.
- Website Audit: SEMRush boasts a remarkable SEO audit tool to allow you to size your site's technical SEO health.
- Domain Overview: This offers a more comprehensive overview of your website's SEO and marketing efforts.
- Organic Research: This tells you how much organic traffic your site draws from Google and how it's changed over the years.
- Backlink Analytics: SEMRush's backlink checker offers functions like domain metrics, the number of links your site has received over time, anchor text breakdown, and more.
- Advertising Research: This allows you to see which ads your competitors are currently running.
SEMRush pricing is structured as follows:
- Pro Plan: $119.95 per month
- Guru Plan: $229.95 per month
- Business Plan: $449.95 per month
SEMRush is arguably the best DIY SEO tool if you're looking for industry-leading features backed by a massive index of ad copy, backlinks, and keywords.
SEMRush is trusted by newbies and SEO experts, primarily due to its wholesome approach to DIY SEO.
SEMRush offers a free 7-day trial
Ahrefs is an excellent SEO tool with innovative functions and facilities.
The best thing about Ahrefs is its massive database; its crawler is the second largest after Google.
- Backlink Profile Checker: Allow you to see your site's complete backlink profile.
- Organic Search: Allows you to research your competitor. It enables you to find your competition's top SEO keywords.
- Keywords Explorer: Let you find keywords to target for SEO. The keyword allows you to analyze keywords on Bing, YouTube, Bing, and Yandex.
- It also shows you keyword difficulty; that way, you can know how hard or easy it is to rank your target keyword.
- Site Audit: Enables you to find technical problems with your DIY SEO.
- Content Explorer: Allows you to analyze and compare content. Type any topic, and it'll generate a list of media shares and backlinks.
Ahrefs' pricing is structured as follows:
- Lite: $99
- Standard: $199
- Advanced: $399
- Enterprise: $999
Ahrefs is one of my favorite SEO tools for keyword research, backlink checking, keyword research, and finding link-building opportunities.
It generates reports faster than most SEO tools and has extensive keyword rankings data. In addition, Ahrefs has a responsive customer care desk to help you sort out glitches promptly.
3. Surfer SEO
Surfer SEO promises to help you create content that can rank high in search engine results.
This DIY SEO tool is data-driven and lets you discover which keywords top-ranking articles use. That way, you can feature the same keywords in your copy, allowing you to create high-ranking content.
- Content Editor: Leverage artificial intelligence to help you discover keyword usage, titles, content length, images, and related keywords for competing articles.
- Content Audit: Lets you optimize your existing content to improve search engine rankings.
- SERP Analyzer: Allows you to analyze keywords in your post against factors that may affect your position in search engines.
- Keyword Research: Lets you enter a seed keyword, and Surfer SEO will generate similar keyword suggestions.
- Content Planner Tool: Enables you to find keyword clusters to target for topical authority.
Surfer SEO price is structured as follows:
- Basic Plan: $49
- Pro Plan: $99
- Business Plan: $199
Surfer SEO has a free plan that offers search engine optimization insight every 28 days.
Surfer SEO is a great DIY SEO tool for comparing your content to competitors. You can also use it to run technical SEO audits, saving your hours.
Besides, you can answer fast, making Surfer SEO worth the cost.
Neil Patel's Ubersuggest evolved from trivial software to one of the most sought-after SEO tools. It boasts a decent keyword and backlink database.
It has a well-organized and minimalist interface, so you should be fine accessing its primary functions.
- Content Ideas: Gives insights like how many people visit a page and the number of backlinks it receives from other websites.
- Similar Websites: Allows you to generate a list of websites similar to yours and their keyword rankings.
- Keywords by Traffic: Enables you to find how many organic keywords a website ranks for.
- Keyword Ideas: Provides the info for a particular keyword while simultaneously allowing you to find related keywords.
- Keywords Overview: Allows you to enter a keyword into the SEO tool for a detailed breakdown of search volume, SEO difficulty, PPC cost, and more.
Ubersuggest price is structured as follows:
- Individual Plan: $29 per month
- Business Plan: $29 per month
- Enterprise/Agency Plan: $29 per month
Ubersuggest has a 7-day free trial.
Ubersuggest is an excellent DIY SEO tool if you're on a tight budget or are looking for something cheaper.
While it doesn't offer as many features as SEMRush or Ahrefs, it is a pretty decent SEO tool that'll get the job done.
MozPro is a comprehensive suite of SEO tools designed to help you improve and enhance your website's search engine optimization.
With MozPro, you can monitor your website's performance, track your rankings for target keywords, and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Keyword Tracking: Monitor your website's rankings for target keywords and see how they change over time.
- Site Audits: Identify technical issues on your website that may be affecting your SEO and get recommendations for how to fix them.
- Backlink Analysis: See who is linking to your website and evaluate the quality of those links.
- Keyword Research: Discover new keywords to target and get insights into their search volume and competitiveness.
- On-page Optimization: Use MozPro's SEO tools to optimize your website's content and structure for maximum visibility in search results.
- Campaign Management: Set goals and track DIY SEO strategy progress with customizable reports and alerts.
MozPro's price is structured as follows;
- Standard Plan: $99
- Medium Plan: $179
- Large Plan: $299
- Premium Plan: $599
MozPro has a 30-day free trial.
MozPro has my nod if you're looking for a reasonably priced DIY SEO tool with a set of powerful tools. It covers the core areas of SEO well to address the needs of small businesses. And you can even test-drive it for 30 days.
6. Jasper AI
Jasper is an AI-powered content creation tool.
Content production is a crucial part of running a successful online business. Yet, generating tons of content to help you gain traction can take time and effort.
Jasper takes away the hard work by letting you churn out up to 700K words of content per month.
- SEO Integration: Jasper has partnered with Surfer SEO to enable you to write content friendly to search engine algorithms.
- Ability to Write Content in Multiple Languages: This SEO tool can write and translate content in 26 languages.
- Content Improver: This enables you to improve the current content on your website to make it more engaging and exciting.
- Ability to create Quora and review responses.
- Allows you to generate topic ideas, product descriptions, email subject lines, meta descriptions, and more.
Jasper AI pricing is structured as follows:
- Starter Plan: $40 for 35K words per month
- Boss Mode: $49 for 50K words per month
- Business Plan: Contact Jasper for pricing
Jasper offers 10,000 free words.
Jasper AI is one of the best SEO tools to help you create quality content in multiple formats, including sales emails, video titles, video scripts, and more.
RankMath is the best WordPress SEO plugin, a popular DIY SEO tool that promises to help you establish a strong foundation for increasing your organic search traffic.
And, unlike similar plugins, it enables you to achieve that without slowing down your website.
- Keyword Tracking and Management: Add and manage the keywords you want to target on your website. Track how well they are performing on Google and other search engines.
- XML Sitemaps: RankMath can automatically generate an XML sitemap for your site. That way, search engines can crawl and index pages faster.
- Redirects Management: You can set up redirects on your website, which helps handle broken links or redirect traffic from old URLs to new ones.
- Web Pages Analysis: You can check your website's search rankings by analyzing metrics such as organic traffic and target keyword performance using RankMath.
- Google Search Console Support: You can connect RankMath to your site's Google Search Console to enhance your SEO efforts.
RankMath's price is structured as follows:
- Pro Plan: $59 per year
- Business Plan: $199 per year
- Agency Plan: $499 per year
Please note that RankMath has a free version also available.
RankMath is an excellent DIY SEO software to optimize your content to attract organic search traffic. It'll give you your content's SEO score and even offer suggestions to improve it.
Besides, RankMath has a free version that still has a lot of features.
Mangools offers a collection of 5 SEO tools to help you improve your website's search ranking.
Like true DIY software is supposed to be, Mangools is easy to use; even SEO newbies can make the most of what it offers.
- Keyword Finder: This is a keyword research tool and the feature for which Mangools is known. You can determine metrics such as keyword difficulty, phrases related to your target query, and more.
- SERPChecker: Allows you to get a bird's eye view of how competitive your chosen keyword is.
- SERPWatcher: Enables you to track your ranking and see if your organic SEO strategy is bearing fruits.
- LinkMiner: Lets you check the backlink profile of entire domains and individual web pages.
- SiteProfiler: Enables you to size up a website by measuring its backlink strength and social media popularity.
Mangools price is structured as follows:
- Basic Plan: $29.90 per month
- Premium Plan: $44.90 per month
- Basic Plan: $89.90 per month
Mangools is one the best DIY SEO tools for bloggers, freelancers, affiliate marketers, and small to medium businesses.
Mangools offers a 10-day trial.
SEOptimer is an SEO audit and reporting platform designed to help you review a website in under one minute.
It reviews and reports crucial metrics such as a website's search engine ranking, mobile usability, and page load speed.
- In-depth Website Audit: Analyze factors used to rank your website and provide actionable suggestions to help you chart your SEO strategy.
- Branded, White Label PDF Reports: Ideal for SEO agencies, this function allows you to generate professional PDF SEO audit reports in 20 seconds.
- DIY SEO: SEOptimer has DIY SEO tools to crawl your website and recommend easy-to-follow tasks for improvement.
- Free Tools for SEO: You get an SEO toolbox to power your site, including a keyword tool and .htaccess file, robots.txt, XML sitemap, and meta tags generators.
SEOptimer price is structured as follows:
- DIY SEO Tools: $19 per month
- While Label: $29 per month
- While Label & Embedding: $59 per month
SEOptimer is a great tool for SEO experts and beginners looking to streamline website audits. I love the fact that it offers actionable steps you can use to boost your website's SEO.
SEOptimer has a 14-day free trial.
Frase, at its core, is an AI content generator.
Better yet, it can optimize your blog and help you churn out content faster. Consider it a Jasper AI alternative if the price is a limiting factor.
- Question Research: Crawls places where your target audience asks questions, making content creation faster.
- AI-Generated Content Briefs: Frase can automatically create a content brief in 12 seconds based on your search query.
- Answer Engine: This tool crawls your web page to enable you to create an intelligent knowledge base in minutes.
- Plagiarism Checker: Frase allows you to check if your content is plagiarized through the integrated plagiarism tool.
- Content Templates: You get templates to help streamline the AI content generation process.
Frase price is structured as follows:
- Solo Plan: $14.99 per month
- Basic Plan: $44.99 per month
- Team Plan: $114.99 per month
Frase is a good tool if you don't have the budget to purchase Jasper AI. While it doesn't have as many features as Jasper, it is still great.
11. Keyword Planner
Google Keyword Planner is a Google Ads free DIY SEO tool that allows you to choose the right keywords for your campaigns.
It allows you to research new products and service ideas. You can also use it to unearth insights into how prospects and customers search your business.
You can use Keyword Planner to:
- Discover new keywords relevant to your website or online business.
- See how many people search for a specific keyword every month. That way, you can determine the keyword's popularity
- Determine the cost of an ad when people search for a term.
- Use your keywords to run new campaigns based on your research.
- Filter and sort data using the Keywords Results Page.
Keyword Planner is a free SEO tool.
Google Keyword Planner is one of the best free keyword research tools for brainstorming content creation ideas while gaining insights into what your customers are looking for.
Buzzsumo is yet another free DIY SEO tool.
Designed to provide data-driven insight to help you generate top-tier content that can rank high in SERPs.
This free tool boasts over 8 billion articles, over 300 trillion social engagements, and 3+ million influencers in its index.
You can use this analysis tool to:
- Mention and Alerts: Allows you to keep track of your brand's mention on social media.
- Influencers: Enables you to connect with influencers in your niche, pick out trends, and hone your influencer marketing strategy.
- Content: Allows you to carry out comprehensive content analysis and identify new backlinking opportunities
- Discover: Enables you to uncover and brainstorm new topic ideas
- Projects: Allows you to save your BuzzSumo data for future reference
BuzzSumo is a free DIY SEO tool.
While the free version is enough for most users, BuzzSumo offers paid SEO tools if you're looking for a more comprehensive analysis priced as follows;
- Pro Plan: $99 per month
- Plus Plan: $179 per month
- Large Plan: $299 per month
BuzzSumo offers a huge database allowing small businesses to map out their content creation and social media marketing strategies without hiring SEO experts.
13. Google Trends
Google Trends is a free tool that allows you to analyze how popular a Google search term is using real-time data.
It shows you what your target marketing is searching for per location, season, and time. You can use the info generated by Google Trends to develop your marketing strategy.
You can use Google Trends analysis tools to;
- Find current, trending topics
- Optimize your local SEO strategy
- Pick out seasonal trend
- Optimize your overall SEO strategy to help improve your keyword rankings
- Keep tabs with your competitors
Google Trends is a free tool. To use it, simply enter your keyword into the search bar and hit enter.
Google Trends is one of the best free SEO tools for creating content around trending topics.
It is a favorite SEO tool for users looking to improve their YouTube strategy, build keyword clusters and identify related topics.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I do SEO by Myself?
Yes, you can.
While there is a steep learning curve, anybody can hack SEO as long as you're willing to put in the hard work that comes with it.
A quick way to start is to take free courses and transition to a paid program as you get the hang of things.
Of course, as you hone your skills, you can use the free tools recommended in this post as a new and upgrade other tools, such as SEMRush.
Is SEO Dying?
No, SEO is not dying.
In fact, it is still a crucial part of any online marketing strategy.
While the way that SEO is performed may have changed and will continue to evolve as Google updates its algorithms, the basic principles are still the same;
- Make sure that your website is well-designed and user-friendly
- Create high-quality, relevant content
- Optimize your content for search engines
As long as businesses want to improve their visibility on search engines, SEO will continue to be crucial.
What are the 4 types of SEO?
The four main types of SEO are on-page SEO, off-page SEO, technical SEO, and local search engine optimization.
- On-page SEO refers to the optimization of individual web pages.
- Off-page SEO improves a website's rankings by building links from other websites.
- Technical SEO refers to optimizing a website's technical aspects, such as structure, speed, and mobile friendliness.
- Local SEO focuses on optimizing a website for customers in a specific geographic area.
Can You do SEO Without Coding?
Yes, you can do SEO without coding.
You see, SEO involves improving the ranking of a website on search engines like Google.
You can do this by making changes to the content and structure of a website and by building links from other websites.
Even though having some coding knowledge can be helpful for SEO, it is not necessary to do it effectively.
Besides, you can leverage the DIY tools highlighted above to help you improve your website's ranking on search engines without needing to know how to code.
The Bottom Line
There you go; there are the 13 best DIY tools to help you implement SEO without hiring an expert.
You only need to identify which tool best serves your needs by analyzing its features.
My advice is to go for an all-in-one solution to help you accomplish most tasks without shifting to other tools.
All in all, these tools offer what most users would want to conduct their own SEO and achieve the desired results.