Digital signage software is a platform that allows users to create, manage, and display digital content on electronic displays, such as LED or LCD screens, for advertising or informational purposes.
I've reviewed some of the most sought-after signage software to help you find one that suits your needs. This way, you don't have to go through the headache of finding a digital signage system that works for you.
If you want to get started right away, Yodeck has my vote as the best digital signage software. Want to find out why? Read the details below.
Most of the digital signage systems in this roundup are available through a paid subscription.
Still, I've included several free digital signage software in case you want to test the waters before going premium.
What is Digital Signage?
Digital signage is a type of electronic display used to show information, advertising, or other content. It can be found in various places, including public transportation hubs, retail stores, and office buildings.
Digital signage is often used to promote sales or special events, display directions or maps, or provide information about products or services. Digital signage can be static or interactive, and it can be updated frequently to keep content fresh.
In many cases, digital signage is controlled remotely, making it easy to change the displayed information.
As digital signage becomes more common, it is playing an increasingly important role in how people receive information.
What's the Best Digital Signage System?
When looking for a digital signage solution, you'll want a package that offers the following:
Compatibility with Your Hardware: You'll want digital signage software compatible with all common operating systems used by digital signage players.
Ability to Handel All Media Formats: Any digital signage solution worth your attention should handle all content types that you'll want to play.
I'm talking about a digital signage platform that can play ultra-high-resolution like 4K, JPEG or PNG files, MP, MOV, HTML5 video, popular streaming formats, and everything in between.
Dynamic Content Support: The digital signage solution should be able to handle content that changes in response to external data.
Dynamic content includes messages or adverts based on elements like the weather, lottery jackpot size, traffic levels, and so on.
The Option to Scale Up: There's nothing wrong with free digital signage software. However, it is always a good idea to go for a solution that allows you to scale to premium features if your needs change over time.
Also, you'll want a digital signage system that allows you to add extra licenses or users easily.
User-friendly Interface: You don't want to spend your money on digital signage software that's difficult to use.
An excellent digital signage platform should have an easy-to-navigate user interface. On top of that, you're better off with a solution that offers multiple user support and different access levels for different team members.
Top-level Security: Choose a digital signage system that offers automatic updates and regular security patches. Look for a solution that meets SOC 1 and SOC 2 security standards.
Remote Monitoring: You want digital signage software that offers remote monitoring capability. That way, you can control the solution without visiting each screen.
Other this to keep in mind when selecting digital signage software include:
- Proof-of play reporting
- Automated content scheduling and delivery
- Multiple screens and synchronization capabilities
- Content caching
- Automatic yield optimization and rebalancing
Top Digital Signage Software
Now that you know the key features look for in digital signage solutions let's go over the highly-rated digital signage systems.
Yodeck is a top-level, cloud-based digital signage platform with a host of exciting features.
Marketed as a solution "born and raised in the cloud," Yodeck allows you to create, design, and schedule content effortlessly from the web, irrespective of how far you are from your screen.
- Top-notch security via safe IP addresses, secure player lockdown, two-factor authentication, and restricted access
- Easy screen monitoring and management with intuitive scheduling and automatic upgrades
- Ability to show your media library on-screen via simple drag and drop action
- Multiple screen support in radiant, HD resolution.
- Social media integration with platforms like Instagram and Twitter and third-party applications like Google Calendar, Trello, and more
- Free widgets like date and time, analog clock, and daily weather to make your websites or screens stand out
- Ability to display documents, web pages, live stream videos, and YouTube content
Yodeck's pricing plans are scheduled as follows for each screen:
- Standard — $7.99 per month
- Pro —$9.99 per month
- Enterprise — $ 12.99 per month
Yodeck is excellent for businesses looking for a reasonably priced, plug-and-play, easily scalable, all-in-one digital signage system.
Raydiant is a cloud-based digital signage software designed for industries like healthcare, recreation, gym, retail, and restaurants.
It is a centralized platform that allows you to design digital signs for event schedules, menu boards, and product promotions.
- Simple integrated content management tools coupled with a drag and drop interface
- Ability to remotely manage your digital displays for increased convenience
- Visual editor and top-notch data security
- Online dashboard to allow you to create multimedia playlists and pre-schedule your content across multiple screens
- Loop playlist functionality allows you to add unlimited content to multiple devices
- Third-party app integration for YouTube, Google Calendar, Sound Your Brand and more
Raydiant pricing plans are structured as follows:
- Lite — free
- Standard — $59 per month
- Enterprise — You'll need to contact the developer on the official website
Raydiant offers a 30 day free trial period.
Raydiant is a great digital signage solution for organizations that want to create audience engagement experiences in-location and in the workplace.
This digital signage system can allow you to manage and scale your experiences across 100,000 locations, anywhere, anytime.
OptiSigns is a cloud-based signage software designed with the needs of a small business in mind. It comes with easy-to-use features allowing for seamless creation and management of interactive digital signage.
OptiSigns promises to bring your internet-connected devices to life with apps like Trello, Google Data Studio, Instagram, and Facebook.
- Advanced analytics and AI through real-time playback reports allow you to create relevant digital signage content
- Access to over 100 apps and templates to allow you to display helpful content on screen like Google Slides
- Flexible content management options, enabling you to play digital signage content when it's most likely to create the most engagement
- Ability to track your content's playback via the proof-of-play report feature
- Screen orientation support, auto restart, working offline, and screen zones
OptiSigns pricing is structured as follows per screen per month:
- Standard — $10
- Pro — $12.50
- Pro Plus — $15.00
- Enterprise — Call OptiSigns for pricing
OptiSigns is a digital signage solution for anyone looking to make simple, digital signs and a better way to engage clients and employees. Use cases include health fitness centers, restaurants, and office communication.
Upshow is a powerful, cloud-based digital signage software solution designed for the entertainment, healthcare, fitness, and hospitality industries.
The platform enables users to choose from several integrated entertainment and educational streaming services, including medical info, game shows, and sports programming.
- Support for displays like digital data dashboards, social media integrations, and marketing spotlight
- Allows users to upload content and customize integrated graphics, display features, and texts
- Seamless content designing and scheduling
- Multi-screen support and media libraries
- Access to reports and analytics about the posts displayed through the digital signage system, customers reached, and engagement
- Automatic player updates
- Twitter and Instagram integration, allowing you to display customer-generated content
Upshow's pricing is structured as follows:
- Quick Start — $50 per month
Upshow doesn't display the pricing for Standard, Professional, and Enterprise plans. You can, however, request pricing on the developer's official website.
Upshow is great for businesses looking to spruce up their screens beyond the traditional signage with entertaining, engaging, and interactive capabilities like games and social media displays.
Sklera is a cloud-based digital signage software that lets users create, display, and manage text, video, and images over multiple displays and locations.
Sklera is super responsive and intuitive with a host of key features to enable organizations to design custom layouts, define colors and edit content using WYSIWYG editors. And that's not all signage software can do.
- Versatile tools to design and schedule content
- Easy device management and live monitoring
- Social medial embedding
- Room manager module to display event details on door signs, booking status, and display appointments
- Flexible data sources
- Integration with third-party systems like Office 365, Active Directory, Dropbox, and more through REST API
Sklera pricing plans are structured as follows:
- Basic — 99 euros
- Standard — 199 euros
- Professional — 320 euros
Sklera offers a 15 day free trial period
Sklera is the to-go-to digital signage software for users scouting for a solution to allow them to display content on screens effortlessly. It is also ideal for technology resellers and system integrators.
SmartSign2go, the digital signage software company behind this solution, created it to address the needs of small businesses.
More specifically, SmartSign2go for SMBs in North America. One thing that makes this software worth noting is its simplicity. The developers made it the goal of helping first-time users make the most of their digital signage displays.
- Enables users to effortlessly and elegantly create and display content on TV screens. The software supports videos, website snippets, photos, and texts
- Pre-designed templates to get your displays up and running in no time
- Configured Google Chrome players compatible with any TV
- Allows users to remotely manage players using their mobile devices or web browsers from anywhere in the world
- Must-have features of any good signage software including playback reports, monitoring, status alerts, scheduling, and so on.
- Content editing tools to customize fonts. You also get custom apps with enterprise-grade security.
SmartSign2go pricing plans are structured as follows:
- Essentials — $23.5 per month
- Advantage — $32 per month
- Enterprise — $43 per month
SmartSign2go is the best digital signage solution for small to medium-size businesses. This easy-to-use software is designed as a turnkey solution right out of the box.
Spectrio promises to help businesses revamp their locations into exciting destinations for their clients and employees.
Spectrio runs on easy-to-use, reliable, and scalable content, enabling users to create attention-grabbing media through interactive kiosks, branded videos, digital menus, video walls, and waiting room TV.
- Access to a plethora of apps to enhance your displays
- Ability to monitor your social media feeds from a centralized, modern feed
- Access to crucial stats like view engagement, re-shared content, and customer reviews at the click of a button
- Stellar content management and rescheduling allow you to decide the best time to deploy your content
- Mass editing capabilities
- Device monitoring and multiple display formats
- Offline display
Spectrio's pricing plans are structured as follows:
- Business — $99 per month. $30 for each additional screen
- Custom — Contact the developer for pricing
Spectrio is a digital signage software built for businesses of all sizes. This system boasts the capabilities to create digital signage content for businesses across various industries.
Viewneo is a powerful digital signage platform running on advanced AI technology.
A modular signage solution, Viewneo is designed to grow with your business. It is, therefore, possible to add or remove components based on the complexity and size of your digital signs.
- Pixabay integration gives you access to over 2 million images, RSS feeds, design templates, and social media plugins.
- In-depth report and analytics, allowing you to leverage technology to gauge the audience's interaction with your messaging
- Easy to use features with a minimalist interface and subcategories
- Compatibility with other players, including Chromecast and Amazon Fire TV stick
- Real-time content editing via an integrated iOS app
- HTML5 support, allowing you to embed web pages or HTML content into your digital signs
Viewneo pricing is structured as follows:
- Professional — $18 per month
- Enterprise — $240 per month
Viewneo is the signage software for anyone looking to experience the power of IoT and artificial intelligence in creating digital signage screens and an impactful social media wall.
I particularly like Viewneo's customizability via the included plugins.
TelemetryTV is a powerful digital display system with all the basic features a modern organization may need to engage audiences and generate brand awareness.
It is the signage software you need to create consistent digital messages across all marketing platforms.
- Enables users to broadcast dynamic content easily through turnkey apps, social feeds, images, videos, and data-driven dashboards for all of their digital displays, irrespective of their location
- Free templates and widgets
- Offers HR updates and company bulletins to facilitate swift corporate communication
- Ability to schedule playlists in seconds
- Offers touch screen lobby systems
- Digital menu boards to allow users to add images, prices, and descriptions
TelemetryTV pricing plans are structured as follows:
- Starter — $54 per month
- Standard — $280 per month
- Plus — $700 per month
TelemetryTV offers a 14-day trial.
TelemetryTV is a digital signage software for technology resellers, higher education institutions, and libraries.
Its digital signage features make it easy to communicate and scale content at the right time.
ScreenCloud is a cloud-based digital signage software with powerful features to enable users to create super interactive, professional displays to drive engagement, increase productivity, and boost sales.
The platform offers enterprise-grade security while giving you the ability to control one or thousands of digital screens from anywhere in the world.
- Compatibility with any digital screen or device allows organizations to unlock hard-to-reach clients and customers at scale
- Built-in content management tools and apps, enabling you to create digital signs with content already in your systems
- Live broadcasting support
- Real-time data sharing which helps in data-backed decision making
- Built-in corporate communication module, letting you create internal digital signage campaigns for employees
ScreenCloud's pricing is structured as follows:
- Core — $20 per month
- Pro — $30 per month
- Enterprise — Custom price based on your needs (contact the developer on the official website for a quote)
- QSR Hardware + Software bundle — $35 per month
ScreenCloud offers a 14 day trial period.
ScreenCloud is a good digital signage software for anyone looking for a solid solution to help them run an impactful digital signage campaign. It offers excellent security, too, from audit logging to custom permissions and SOC2 compliance.
11. OnSign TV
OnSign TV is a cloud-based signage solution that thrives on ease of use and compatibility with a wide range of operating systems.
Speaking of operating systems, OnSign TV is compatible with Chrome, macOS, Windows, Android, Linux, and more.
OnSign TV offers a list of compatible players and the hardware required. My advice is that you should study this list first before getting started.
- Ability to manage multiple displays remotely
- Drag and drop timeline interface to allow users to add digital signage content easily
- Generates automatic scheduled reports for a specific dates and time
- Content management includes time duration tracking, playlist cycling, and visual creation
- Fool-proof security with audit log, two-factor authentication, and account log tracking
- Access to customized templates
OnSign TV pricing is structured as follows:
- Professional — $19.99 per month
- Enterprise — $29.99 per month
OnSign TV offers a 14-day trial.
OnSign TV is an all-in-one digital signage software that can work for any organization that wants to communicate using signage screens.
Novisign is one of the best digital signage systems for a reason.
First of all, this signage software boasts rave reviews and positive feedback from customers who've used its well-thought-out functionalities to create impressive digital signs.
On top of that, Novisign is known for its ease of use and reliability.
- Over 20 drag and drop widgets allowing users to create dynamic digital signage, including HD videos, interactive polls, slideshows, and more
- Simple-to navigate interface that offers multi-screen support and playlists
- Ability to integrate information into display screens via RSS feeds, apps, and widgets
- Lets users customize imagery and text
- Excellent scheduler and playlist function, a responsive system that allows you to pull in, arrange and play digital signage much as you would on iTunes or Spotify
Novisign's pricing is structured as follows:
- Business — $18 per month
- Business plus — $26 per month
- Premium — $44 per month
- Enterprise — Contact Novisign for a quote
Novisign offers a 30-day free trial
Novisign is a top digital signage software that can do just about anything. It is ideal for digital signage for schools, corporate menu communication, and digital menu boards.
13. Rise Vision
Rise Vision is an affordable cloud-based digital signage software used by thousands of organizations.
It comes with hundreds of free, professionally designed templates coupled with reliable and fast customer service.
- Allows you to create customized scheduled and change presentations in playlists running on one or thousands of displays
- Built-in visual editor and a media library to store your digital signage assets
- Integrated tools to add sub-accounts, view your network's status and manage user permissions
- Scheduling features to allow you to program and end date for your digital content to stop showing up
- Display monitoring lets you set up email notifications when if your display goes offline
- Capability to show screenshots of what's playing on your signage screens at any time
Rise Vision goes for $999.00 per year for one organization
It also comes with a 14-day trial
Rise Vision is the best for schools and businesses looking for digital signage software that offers an extensive library of templates to create custom digital signage content.
Screenly is a top digital signage solution for Raspberry Pi.
Powering over 10,000 screens worldwide, Screenly boasts powerful features that allow users to upload, schedule, and manage digital content on their screens remotely.
- Full HD support for images, live web pages, and videos
- Intuitive and clutter-free dashboard for easy navigation
- Enables you to turn your TV screens into digital signs with no downtime and solid stability
- Offers multiple screen management from a single account
- Bulletproof security to keep hackers from messing with your digital sign
Screenly's pricing is structured as follows:
- Monthly — $35.95 per month for 2 screens
- One-time — $369 per screen
- Enterprise — Contact Screenly for pricing
Screenly has my vote if you're looking for a beginner-friendly digital signage solution. Uses cases include info-boards, office digital signs, and retail signage.
Zeetaminds is a cost-effective hardware-agnostic digital signage system loaded with powerful features that any organization will appreciate.
The solution comes with an integrated CMS powering digital signage in over 40 countries for renowned brands like Sony and Malaysian airlines.
- Compatibility with Windows, Amazon fire stick, and LG WebOS. Zeetaminds can also play digital signage on any Android Smart TV with Google Playstore.
- Canva integration, making content management and creation easy
- Support for popular media, including PDF files, images, HTML 5, PNG, TIF, and more
- Allows you to schedule your media playlists on an hourly, daily, weekly and monthly basis while providing multiple-screen control
- Lets you choose signage transitions depending on individual requirements, enhancing overall engagement rates
- Allows you to display promotional content, digital menus, showtimes, and other media in multiple layouts
Zeetaminds pricing is structured as follows:
- Business — $10 per display, up to 50 displays
- Enterprise — contact Zeetaminds or pricing
Zeetaminds offers a 15-day trial
Zeetaminds is an ideal digital signage system for organizations that want to stream-generate digital content using Instagram or Twitter hashtags. Use cases include corporates, hospitals, retail stores, universities, and advertising boards.
Reach is a simple, cloud-based digital signage software that packs a punch to help you kick start your digital signage campaign without burning through your budget.
Trusted by over 7,000 clients, Reach offers unlimited customer support to help you make the most of what the solution offers.
- Access to over 100 apps and 500+ templates to enable you to create layout designs that'll dramatically enhance the way you communicate via digital signage
- A powerful integration engine allows you to seamlessly integrate and automate your existing content from platforms like Canva, OneDrive, SharePoint, PowerBI, and more.
- Advanced playlists to schedule and share your content easily
- Ability to create and configure access rights via the detailed admin control panel
- Allows you to set up Google and Outlook calendar screens to send your info to any display or interactive kiosk
- Reach pricing is structured as follows:
- All-inclusive implementation — $29.99 per month
- Reach offers a 30-day free trial
Reach is a good digital signage software for users in the recreation, manufacturing, and health care industries looking to create stunning digital signage quickly.
Best Free Digital Signage Software
At times, it makes perfect sense to try out free digital software before committing your money. If that's you, I've reviewed a few digital signage solutions that you can sample without paying a dime.
I must mention, though, that a free signage solution is only ideal if you're still learning the ropes of creating digital messages.
Free signage software lacks key features to let you make professional displays.
That said, here are my picks for the best free digital signage software.
Concerto is a free, web-based digital signage software that promises to help users display video of events and services on digital screens.
This signage software is released under the Apache Software License v2, making it open software that can be modified or redistributed.
Concerto facilities sharing of digital information via web technologies and API.
- Allows users to connect and engage with their audiences via video, graphical and textual messages.
- Lets users highlight one message with a pool of other messages to various audiences and locations
- Ability to host messages on mobile devices, websites, flat-panel TV screens, and screensavers
- Compatibility with new generation mobile devices and smartphone
- Ability to choose to display your content as per your preferred time and date
- Interactive displays, product memos, and walkthrough to help you make the most of this digital signage software
Concerto is downloadable for free on the developer's website
Concerto is ideal for small businesses and startups looking to leverage stable digital signage software for free. You only need to pay for the hardware.
DigitalSignage.com is a free cloud-based digital signage software designed to allow users to create, broadcast and analyze content without writing a single line of code.
It lets you create multi-touch apps via integrated digital signage and kiosks.
- Ability to drag and drop information that matters to your audience on playlists and screens
- Remotely content management straight from your browser, mobile device, PCs, and set-top boxes
- In-depth analytics report for your digital signage campaign allowing you to measure engagement and ROI
- Solid kiosk solutions without coding
- Support for the latest web standards, including MRSS, HD videos, HTML5, and Flash
- Unlimited cloud storage, animation, and rote touch
DigitalSignage.com is one of the few digital signage software that allows you to access 90% of its premium features for free.
You can, however, opt for advanced features priced as follow:
- MediaCLOUD — $49 per screen
- MediaSERVER — $895 (one-time)
DigitalSignage.com is great for beginners and seasoned users scouting for premium features in a free digital signage solution.
19. Chrome Sign Builder
Wrapping up my best digital signage software roundup is Chrome Sign Builder, a super versatile tool that enables you to schedule content on Chrome OS.
While Chrome Sign Builder is free, it comes with intuitive features to help you build a digital sign that you can update instantly.
- Lets you upload text, images, and videos, then customize elements like colors, spacing, fonts, and more
- Ability to drag and drop images within a window, allowing you to position it as an object on your design canvas
- Shared access to uploaded content enables your team to edit designs, videos, and playlists
- Intuitive image and object placement makes it easy to configure a digital sign as per your preference
- Enables user to publish digital signs with no coding
Chrome Sign Builder is available as a chrome extension downloadable directly to your PC.
Chrome Sign Builder is a handy digital signage software for things like restaurant menus and simple digital signs.
How to Use Digital Signage Software
To make the most of your digital signage solution, you must know how to use its features optimally.
Here's a quick walkthrough to help you get started.
Step 1: Get the Right Equipment — Start with buying a high-definition screen. Look for one that offers HDMI support.
Step 2: Customize Your Design — This process entails branding screen layout. At this point, you'll also need to choose and style the digital signage apps that you want to include on your screens.
Step 3: Create Content — You can use digital signage to create your content from scratch, leverage pre-designed templates, or upload documents, photos, and videos from your library.
Step 4: Connect Your Media Player — You'll need to connect a digital signage player to a wireless or wired internet.
Step 5: Display Your Content — With everything set, it's time to display your content. Turn on your player and screen to start broadcasting and engaging your audience with your content.
Side Note: It is important to talk to your digital signage software provider first to take you through publishing.
You'll also want to inquire about the right hardware to use. Ideally, you want hardware that can display schedules, videos, social media feeds, traffic updates, weather reports, and more.
Digital Signage Software Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
As I come to the near end of my digital signage software reviews, let me go over a few questions people ask about digital signage systems.
What App is Good for Making Signs?
First of all, there are many digital signage applications on the market,
Of course, all signage solutions aren't made equal. There are free and paid options.
So, the best app for making signs primarily depends on what you're looking for and the specific requirements of your project.
A good digital signage solution, therefore, is the one that allows you to create signs that meet your goals, whether it is connecting with your audience or communicating with your employees.
Yodeck is an excellent all-in-one signage software and has the functionalities to meet even the most complex digital signage needs.
How Can I Use My TV as Digital Signage?
Using your TV as digital signage is pretty straightforward. In fact, you can use any television with an HDMI port as digital signage.
Simply plug in a digital signage player with an HDMI cable to start controlling your television from a digital content management system.
It is very unlikely that you'll find a modern TV without an HDMI cable. Some TVs even have a DisplayPort connection, built for monitors that can handle high-resolution content from content management software while providing a smoother and faster refresh rate.
How Much Does Yodeck Cost?
Yodeck is a leader in the digital signage industry, and it is not surprising that users frequently ask about the software's pricing.
So once again, here's Yodeck's pricing:
- Standard (Ideal for small and large organizations) — $7.99 per month for each screen
- Pro (Perfect for users with lots of content) — $9.99 per month for each screen
- Enterprise (offers enterprise security and control) — $12.99 per month for each screen
I'd like to mention that Yodeck is free for all the packages if you're using only one screen.
If you'd like to upgrade from the free version, I recommend the Pro Plan for the best value.
Is NoviSign Free?
NoviSign isn't free.
It is available in four pricing plans as indicated below:
- Business (Ideal for small businesses and individual users) — $18 per month for each screen
- Business Plus (Ideal for growing teams) — $26 per month for each screen
- Premium (Designed for large organizations) — $44 per month for each screen
- Enterprise (for corporation and integration) — NoviSign offers pricing on request
These pricing plans are reasonable considering the features you get with each package.
NoviSign is one of the most sought-after digital signage software.
While it isn't free, NoviSign offers a 30 day trial period for all standard features. After the trial period, I recommend signing up for the Enterprise Plan to get the most value.
How Effective is Digital Signage?
Digital signage software makes it easy to improve your brand's visual communication and efficiency. It also allows you to engage audiences while reducing operating costs.
Is digital signage effective?
Yes, it is. Look at the following statistics:
- The global digital signage market hit an all-time high of $23.5 billion in 2021. The industry is projected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 6.3% between 2022 and 2031 to reach $63.3 billion.
- Digital signage reaches a staggering 135million people per week
- 60% of businesses without digital signage currently are planning to invest in digital signage software in the next two years
- 80 percent of digital businesses that use digital signage experience a 33 percent increase in sales
- Digital signage enhances queue management and reduces "wait time" by more than 35 percent
- Visuals draw 94% more views than text-based content
Numbers don't lie. These statistics are a clear indication that, indeed, digital signage works.
The Bottom Line
That brings me to the end of the best digital signage software rundown.
The solutions on this list are feature-rich and can meet the digital signage needs of virtually any business.
As a rule of thumb, go for paid signage software if you're looking for a solution to handle complex tasks.
Speaking of complex tasks, Yodeck is my #1 digital signage software for small and large organizations with lots of content.
If Yodeck doesn't meet your needs, you can always check out the other options reviewed here, and I'm sure you'll find one that offers what you're looking for.